Hello everyone! I know it’s been a while since I’ve made a new blog post, but I guess everyone understands school is a priority.
Today I’m going to make it up to you guys with an appetizer!
Not just a regular one, this one is for our veggies too: EGGPLANT ‘MEAT’BALLS!
What do we need?
- 2 eggs
- fresh basil
- 2 eggplants
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 5 tablespoons panko
- olive oil, pepper and salt
- Parmesan cheese (40/50gr) just the regular amount you buy in one package
EXTRA: according to the recipe 3 tablespoons pine nuts could be added too, but we left them out.
NOTE: Panko is a kind of bread crumbs used in the Japanese kitchen to make sure your food gets a crispy crust. Panko exists in different varieties and is made of fried or steamed bread made of wheat flour. It actually gives a more crispy , but lighter structure than other common bread crumbs.
Let’s do this!
- First cut your eggplants into little square pieces.
- After cutting your eggplants cover them with salt and let them rest in a colander for half an hour, so the moisture will be removed from the eggplants.
- Put your pieces of eggplants into a cooking pot. Let them cook for 15 minutes.
- Drain the eggplant and squeeze them, so all moisture is gone.
- Beat the 2 eggs together. Add them into a bowl with the eggplant.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, Panko and flour.
- Add salt and pepper
- Add fresh basil
- Roll your balls, make sure they’re small enough so it’s pleasant for your guests to eat your appetizer.
- Once rolled, roll the balls into some flour before baking. This will make them easier to bake.
- Bake them into a pan, each side for about 5 minutes. Make sure your pan is hot enough so they’ll bake beautifully brown. After that lower your fire so they’ll bake slowly further.
NOTE: use a Tefal pan, otherwise your balls will be sticking on your pan.
- While baking you can put some pressure on your balls with a fork. Like this they’ll become a little bit more flat so it’ll be easier to put some other ingredients on top.
We tried different things: first we put just some basil, tomatoes and Parmesan cheese on top of the balls, together with some salt, pepper and olive oil. Secondly, we tried some mozzarella on the balls too. Both were very delicious!
Hopefully you’ll like this recipe!